DOES PREGNANCY AFFECT YOUR HAIR GROWTH ?
Published on February 16 2022 | By Dharani Senthilkumar
Pregnancy is a period in every woman’s life where she fears, feels and fights her transformation most positively ever possible. The period is absolutely a blessing in every woman’s life.
There’s a common fear among women that hair may fall during the pregnancy phase. But what we need to understand is that pregnancy is a period of lushing hair growth, and postpartum is a period of severe hair fall.
Due to hormonal fluctuations, the postpartum period turns out to be a period of hair distress. But it is pretty normal and will eventually fall into its place as before with the assistance of proper supplements and dietary corrections.
CAN HAIR FALL OUT DURING PREGNANCY?
While post-pregnancy is associable with hair loss, pregnancy is a period of luxurious hair growth due to high hormones, growth factors and increased blood circulation.
Estrogen, a female reproductive hormone, is on a surge during pregnancy. This hormone will generate thicker and healthier hair growth.
The average 50-100 hair shedding per day will lessen during pregnancy. And since estrogen is on the rise, the hair appears to be thicker than usual.
Due to an increase in the estrogen level, more hair is pushed in the growing phase and also this stays for a more extended period than the usual hair cycle.
Similarly, fewer hair is pushed to the falling phase than the usual hair cycle. Hence there will be lower hair fall and increased hair growth.
WHEN WILL HAIR LOSS STOP AFTER DELIVERY?
It is extremely normal to face hair fall after pregnancy for a maximum of 6 months. Post-pregnancy, since there is a plunge in the hormones and growth factors post-delivery, the hair cycle disrupts, causing hair loss. The follicles go into a state of dormancy due to sudden hormonal imbalance. However, it will get back to its normal hair cycle after six months.
The hair fall might spike during the 4th month usually. It may look like you are losing all your hair at once, but the reality is that the hair falls in larger clumps.
HOW CAN HAIR FALL BE ARRESTED?
Postpartum hair loss cannot be arrested at once with appropriate hair fall treatment for women, but steps can be taken to maintain the existing hair more healthily.
- Nutrition is key not only to healthy hair but also to your whole body. Make sure to eat foods rich in iron, omega-3, fruits and vegetables that will enhance hair growth and blood circulation to the scalp. Apart from food, you can also opt for supplements rich in biotin, omega-3 and other essential vitamins to provide the proper nourishment.
- It’s crucial to be patient with your hair and body during this period. Let it revive slowly. So stop using frequent styling products or chemical infused shampoos that give you just temporary volume to your hair.
- Adapt to a natural way of drying your hair instead of using blow dryers that poses extreme heat to the scalp.
- Instead, you can choose to indulge in hair oil massages and spas to relax during this period.
- Maintaining a proper hair care routine like shampooing appropriately, oil massages from time to time, applying hair masks is a way to rejuvenate the hair. Moreover, if you have adopted a hairstyle for many years, it’s about time to change the style and follow a hairstyle that’s not stressing the scalp much.
While all this may sound convincing, it’s still natural for a woman to worry about her falling hair. Consult our experts for pregnancy hair fall solution and opt for their guidance if you are very concerned. VCare, the top hair fall clinic and their expertise can help you face hair fall with much more confidence. Book your consultation now with the best trichologists in India or reach out to us at +91 9840234023.